The 2021-22 Honor Roll and Overview of America’s Best Hospitals
FFor more than 30 years, the mission of U.S. News & World Report’s annual Best Hospitals rankings has been to help guide patients, in consultation with their doctors, to the right hospital when they need care. The devastating coronavirus pandemic underscored the importance of high-quality health care. While disrupting life in many ways, it only reinforced U.S. News’ long-standing commitment to helping patients across the nation find the best hospital for their needs.
To help readers narrow their search, U.S. News rates hospitals in 17 bellwether procedures and conditions such as knee replacement and heart bypass surgery. Seven of the ratings, new this year, cover:
- Back surgery (spinal fusion).
- Heart attack.
- Hip fracture.
- Kidney failure.
U.S. News also ranks hospitals in 15 areas of complex specialty care. These ratings and rankings are based on each hospital’s patient outcomes – that is, how well patients have fared after treatment – as well as other factors that matter to patients, like the quality of their experience and whether the hospital is adequately staffed.
U.S. News also ranks hospitals in each state and nearly 100 metro areas, to make it easy for everyone to find excellent care close to home and in their insurance network. To be counted among this year’s 531 Best Regional Hospitals, a hospital generally had to outperform in at least six of the procedures and conditions U.S. News evaluates.
While urban areas around New York City, Los Angeles, and greater Chicago have the greatest concentrations of top medical centers, the Best Regional Hospitals can also be found in the Florida Panhandle, Kentucky’s Bluegrass Region, and the Ozarks of Arkansas, and scores of other urban and rural areas.
The Best Hospitals Honor Roll highlights 20 hospitals that excel across most or all types of care evaluated by U.S. News. Hospitals received points if they were nationally ranked in the 15 specialties – the more specialties and the higher their rank, the more points they got – and if they were rated high performing in any of the 17 procedures and conditions. The top point-scorers made the Honor Roll.
U.S. News 2021-22 Best Hospitals Honor Roll
- 1. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota.
- 2. Cleveland Clinic.
- 3. UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles.
- 4. Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore.
- 5. Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston.
- 6. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles.
- 7. New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia and Cornell, New York.
- 8. NYU Langone Hospitals, New York.
- 9. UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco.
- 10. Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago.
- 11. University of Michigan Hospitals-Michigan Medicine, Ann Arbor.
- 12. Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital, Stanford, California.
- 13. Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania-Penn Presbyterian, Philadelphia.
- 14. Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston.
- 15. Mayo Clinic-Phoenix.
- 16. Houston Methodist Hospital.
- 17. (tie) Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis.
- 17. (tie) Mount Sinai Hospital, New York.
- 19. Rush University Medical Center, Chicago.
- 20. Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville.
For most illnesses, patients do not need to go to an Honor Roll hospital, which may require traveling away from home and paying expenses for out-of-network care. All rankings and ratings should be seen as just a starting point for patients who are considering, with input from their doctors, where to seek care. Individual diagnosis, insurance coverage, and personal priorities are important factors in making a personal best choice.